- What we do
- Medical careers & training
- CPD, education & revalidation
- My RCP
We are a forward-looking organisation, relentless in our pursuit of improvements in healthcare and the health of the population. We will achieve this by enhancing and harnessing the skills, knowledge and leadership of physicians in setting challenging standards and encouraging positive change based on sound evidence.
Physicians are specialists in the diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. They are trained in acute (internal) medicine and/or one of the specialties (such as cardiology or oncology). They carry out investigations and procedures, give advice, and prescribe treatments.
- We support our fellows and members during every stage of their careers, and in doing so improve the quality of patient care.
- We set and monitor standards of medical training to ensure that patients are treated by fully trained and capable doctors.
- Our senior physicians sit on appointments committees to ensure that new consultants are of high calibre.
- Our evidence-based clinical guidelines and audits support our fellows and members in improving and scrutinising clinical care.
- Our education programmes provide physicians with the knowledge and skills they need for high performance.
- We lobby government at the highest levels to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
In addition to supporting physicians in their daily practice, we take a wide role in public health. Our activities include campaigning for change, advising government and parliament, and taking part in national debates on medical, clinical and public health issues. The Royal College of Physicians (RCP) has supported and represented physicians for nearly 500 years. Our roots stretch back to Henry VIII, but our 29,000 members today work in the fast-paced, ever-changing, highly technological world of medicine in the UK and across the globe.