The programme is unique within UK healthcare education and has arisen out of a real need identified in workplaces. In order for organisations to benefit from greater diversity amongst their staff, leadership skills that facilitate professional growth and foster a culture of equality, diversity and inclusivity are essential.
This programme is designed to support the development of those from diverse groups who may be underrepresented within healthcare leadership positions, and for those with a deep interest in supporting equality, diversity, inclusion and a sense of belonging within their organisation.
The programme aims to develop the essential leadership knowledge, skills and behaviours to support participants in growing confidence in their abilities in order to be successful in future senior leadership positions within the NHS. The programme achieves these aims through interactive workshops, access to mentoring from senior medical leaders, access to support from programme alumni, peer group support and through opportunities for professional networking.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic we have temporarily redesigned this programme to be delivered online until it is safe to be delivered face to face. We will be using a combination of both live and pre-recorded delivery to ensure the outcomes of the programme are met to a level we are proud of, and to enable effective networking and mentoring.
The programme has four, CPD-accredited components:
The equivalent of five development days hosted online or at RCP London, including:
• introduction day
• ‘Doctors as leaders’ RCP accreditation (2 days)
• mid-programme development day
• programme finale
• Virtual coaching and guidance from a senior mentor approximately every eight weeks
Action learning sets:
• ongoing peer group support through an action learning sets (ALS) programme. ALS sessions find practical ways of addressing the ‘real life’ challenges that are faced in the workplace, through a structured process of insightful questioning combined with a balance of support and challenge from group members.
We are adapting the delivery of our ALS sessions, and moving them online. This will enable us to continue to support you, pick up on learning points from the online modules, and enable you to share your recent experiences.
• access to a variety of networking opportunities within the RCP
• support from peer network.
Who should apply?
We would recommend this programme to people who have a strong interest in developing their own leadership skills and who can demonstrate that the programme would support this development.
The fee for the ‘Springboard to Leadership: supporting diversity programme’, including all the components listed above is £4,200 for non-members and £3,780 for members of the RCP (10% discount). Organisations wishing to make multiple bookings should contact email@example.com
How do I apply?
You can apply via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) using the form on this page at any time, applications will be reviewed as they are received with a closing date of Tuesday 1 September.
You will need to provide the following:
• your curriculum vitae, no more than two pages, highlighting your leadership experience and leadership development / training
• a 500-word personal statement explaining what you hope to gain from participating in the programme.
Day 1 – 16 November (online)
Day 2 – 9 March (individual as leader in London)
Day 3 - 31 March (Organisational leadership in London)
Day 4 – 21 June
Day 5 – 12 July
We have included links to pages of similar topics, that may be of help or interest.