The Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (DTM&H) examination tests the knowledge of physicians who wish to practice medicine effectively in developing countries.
2022 fees and examination dates
- Examination fee: £400
- Application period: Monday 14 March – Sunday 3 April
- Examination date: Wednesday 1 June 2022
Candidates for the Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene must hold a primary medical qualification recognised by the Royal College of Physicians of London (RCP).
The RCP will accept applications from candidates who are in the process of completing, or have completed within the last five years, the approved tropical medicine courses in the following locations (which are recognised as appropriate training centres for the examination):
- Glasgow Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene course
- Sheffield Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene course
- Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine: DTMH course, MSc in Tropical and Infectious Diseases, or MSc in Tropical Paediatrics
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine: DTMH course or MSc in Tropical Medicine and International Health
- Médecins Sans Frontières Course in Global Health and Humanitarian Medicine (GHHM)
- ASTMH-approved diploma courses satisfying the requirements for CTropMed.
Confirmation of attendance on one of the appropriate tropical medicine courses (as above), and of proficiency in microscopy (requiring a minimum of 12 hours of microscopy/practical parasitology teaching) within the last five years will be required for each candidate before taking the examination.*
*Applicants for the 2022 DTM&H examination are asked to take note of the examination regulations as well as the temporary addendum to the examination regulations, both of which can be found in the ‘Downloads’ section below.
- Two 50 question ‘best of five’ papers, designed to test the candidate’s knowledge of tropical medicine and hygiene over a wide area (1.5 hours per paper).
- A parasitology/entomology ‘short answer’ paper (1.5 hours).
- A preventive medicine ‘short essay’ paper (1 hour).
All four papers are delivered online via our software partner, Orzone. All four papers are completed on the same day, with suitable breaks scheduled between each paper. Full details regarding what to expect on an exam day can be found in the Online Examination FAQ in the downloads section at the bottom of the page.
Examination results will be sent to candidates via email only. Letters will not be sent by post, and results are not available over the telephone or by fax.
All successful candidates will also receive a formal certificate of completion following results release.