Supporting teams to improve care for people with COPD is a 12-month QI course based on the IHI breakthrough series collaborative model, aimed at clinical teams wanting to improve COPD services in their organisation.
The RCP quality improvement team are committed to providing expert training to clinicians and their teams to improve individual confidence in QI methodology that will have a direct impact on patient care. This collaborative provides a structured training approach to teams who wish to improve an area of their service which impacts patients who have chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD).
Teams of four people can apply to take part in this collaborative, with a wider team supporting the core team. We anticipate a lot of interest in this collaborative, including from those who are already involved with their Patient Safety Collaborative and focusing on the COPD discharge bundle (as part of the National Patient Safety Improvement Programmes – NatPatSIPs) and invite those interested teams to apply. This course will provide 9 months of supported training and coaching to teams to improve a nominated area of their service. After the collaborative ends, our main aim is that teams feel empowered to continue running QI projects in their organisations independently.
- Thursday 30 January - Friday 10 April: Recruitment open
- Friday 17 April: Notification of successful teams
- May (date TBC upon notification): Team introductory calls with RCPQI project manager – introduction to the programme and how to prepare for learning session 1
- Tuesday 9 June: Learning session 1 (RCP North, Liverpool)
- Wednesday 23 September : Learning session 2 (Birmingham)
- Thursday 28 January 2021: Learning session 3 (London)
- April 2021: Sustainability webinar - date TBC
Why apply to this collaborative?
Physicians and their teams will be supported to implement improvements in COPD services, using an evidence-based approach. You will join with other teams at the learning sessions to share practice and will be updated in methods of implementing and sustaining change for measurable improvements in care. Teams will receive coaching support in action periods between the sessions.
This breakthrough series collaborative will allow you to:
- gain a better understanding of how to interpret the findings from your data
- learn how to facilitate changes and improvements in patient care
- grow your confidence in using quality improvement methodology in your day-to-day work.
Who should attend?
This collaborative course is designed for people who want to improve care for patients and are motivated to achieve this using improvement techniques and incremental change.
Teams should comprise four core members from a wide variety of roles including (but not limited to) physicians, nurses, pharmacists, administrators, managers and patients.
Wider teams may include more than four people working on the project in the trust, but four places per team is the maximum available for the learning sessions. If a team member is unable to make a given learning session then another member of the team may take their place.
The cost of the course is £1,500 per team (+ VAT) for three taught learning sessions and all additional support from our QI faculty.
Teams will need to cover their own travel and, where necessary, accommodation costs.
How to apply
To recieve a copy of our application form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title 'COPD'. The deadline for receipt of application forms is 5pm, Friday 10 April.