'Supporting teams to improve care for people with atrial fibrillation in hospital' is a 12-month QI course based on the IHI Breakthrough Collaborative model, aimed at clinical teams wanting to improve the atrial fibrillation management pathway in their Trusts.
Designed by the RCP Quality Improvement (RCPQI) programme, the course consists of three 1-day learning sessions plus supporting action periods (periods in between learning sessions for teams to progress their project in their Trust) and coaching calls.
- Wednesday 18 September - Monday 7 October 2019: Recruitment open
- Thursday 10 October 2019 - Notification of successful teams
- November 2019: Team introductory calls with RCPQI project manager – introduction to the programme and how to prepare for learning session 1
- Friday 6 December 2019: Learning session 1 (location TBC)
- December 2019 - March 2020: Action period 1 – including team coaching calls
- Monday 30 March 2020: Learning session 2 (location TBC)
- April - June 2020: Action period 2 – including team coaching calls
- Wednesday 1 July 2020: Learning session 3 (location TBC)
- Wednesday 16 September 2020: sustainability webinar
Location of learning sessions will be decided when shortlisted teams have been announced, to ensure a reasonable location for all teams.
What you will learn
Physicians and their teams will be supported to implement improvements in the atrial fibrillation management pathway, using an evidence-based approach. You will join with other teams at the learning sessions to share practice and will be updated in methods of implementing and sustaining change for measurable improvements in care. Teams will receive coaching support in action periods between the sessions.
This breakthrough series collaborative will allow you to:
- gain a better understanding of how to interpret the findings from your data
- learn how to facilitate changes and improvements in patient care
- grow your confidence in using quality improvement methodology in your day-to-day work
Who should attend?
This collaborative course is designed for people who want to improve care for patients and are motivated to achieve this using improvement techniques and incremental change.
Teams should comprise of four core members from a wide variety of roles including (but not limited to) physicians, nurses, pharmacists, administrators, managers and patients.
Wider teams may include more than four people working on the project in the trust, but four places per team is the maximum available for the learning sessions. If a team member is unable to make a given learning session then another member of the team may take their place.
The cost of the course is £2,000 per team (+ VAT) for three taught learning sessions and all additional support from our QI faculty.
Teams will need to cover their own travel and, where necessary, accommodation costs.
How to apply
For more information on how to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title 'Atrial Fibrillation'. The deadline for receipt of application forms is 5PM, Monday 7 October 2019.