The Royal College of Physicians (RCP) invites applications from subscribing members or fellows for the role of RCP deputy registrar, to take up office in late summer 2019 for an initial 3-year term of office (with the possibility of extension to 4 years).
This is a new position, giving scope to the first deputy registrar to shape the role for the future. Primarily based in the RCP offices in Liverpool, this is an opportunity for a fellow with energy and strategic vision to take on a significant leadership role on a national platform.
The deputy registrar will support the Membership Support and Global Engagement department in pursuing our strategic objectives. They will focus on developing our member relationships in support of our regional networks, support our workforce activities and attend meetings on behalf of the registrar.
This is an exciting time to be part of the RCP, with a new strategy being developed during 2019 and the ongoing development of our major new base in Liverpool to complement offices in London and regional offices across the country.
The role is 2 days per week and the RCP would be willing to negotiate with employers regarding a backfill arrangement, usually on a 50/50 share.
As deputy registrar you will:
- initiate engagement strategies with our membership, particularly representing the RCP in the north of the country, working with our regional network of offices, regional advisers and membership engagement team
- provide clinical leadership for our workforce functions (Advisory Appointments Committees, Medicine Jobs and Medical Workforce Unit, as well as have links into the Medical Training Initiative) and represent the RCP on workforce/recruitment relations with HEE/Wales Deanery/NIMDTA
- support the registrar by representing the RCP at meetings and events
- support the coordination of consultation responses.
The successful candidate will be:
- a subscribing member or fellow of the RCP in good standing (we particularly welcome applications from new consultants, in either category of RCP membership)
- solutions-oriented, with the energy and drive to bring about positive change
- an excellent communicator, with the ability to build strong relationships and influence at a senior level with both clinicians and non-clinicians
- willing to travel regularly in the UK, particularly across the north of the country and to the RCP offices in London.
How to apply
If you would like to discuss the role prior to applying please contact the registrar (donal.o’firstname.lastname@example.org) or the executive director of Membership Support and Global Engagement (email@example.com). Appointments to discuss the role in person or on the telephone can be made through firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please return applications in the form of a cover letter and CV to email@example.com by 5pm on Wednesday 29 May 2019.
The provisional date for interviews is Thursday 4 July 2019.
The Royal College of Physicians welcomes and actively seeks to recruit people to its activities regardless of race, religion, ethnic origin, disability, age, gender and sexual orientation. The RCP aims to reflect the diversity of its members in all its committee, senior roles and staff in general. We are looking to create a diverse officer team and would be able to accept flexible working arrangements.