The Royal College of Physicians of London (RCP) is seeking to appoint two new members of the Diploma of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (DTM&H) standard setting group.
The successful applicants will:
- attend meetings of the standard setting group
- advise on the pass mark to be applied to the examination paper
- be responsible for evaluating the level of difficulty of each question in an examination paper in order to set a pass mark
- ensure that the quality of individual questions is high and that the examination questions are of an appropriate standard
- keep abreast of developments in the world of medical education and medical practice ensuring that the examination papers are relevant to the curriculum.
This is a non-salaried position though all reasonable expenses and travel costs will be met by MRCP(UK) central office in line with the Federation expenses policy. The tenure of appointment is 5 years.
A full list of the post’s responsibilities is available to download at the bottom of the page.
Applicants should meet the following criteria to be eligible to apply:
- You should hold the DTM&H or an equivalent postgraduate diploma.
- Medically qualified members must confirm that they are registered and in good standing with the GMC, and are in active practice in a specialty relevant to the DTM&H.
- Clinicians working with the DTM&H examination are expected to have been actively engaged in the training of junior doctors or other healthcare workers within the last 2 years.
- Academic members confirm that they are still active in their field of expertise and in good standing.
- Be up to date as appropriate with relevant national guidelines, CPD requirements, employer’s equality and diversity training and appraisal process.
In addition it is a requirement for members of the DTM&H standard setting group that they fulfil one or more of the following criteria:
- have considerable knowledge of the examination
- have experience of standard setting and question writing in an academic environment
- have an understanding of the principles behind criterion referencing and the Hofstee method, statistical methods used and interpretation of analyses performed on individual items
- experience of SSG membership is desirable.
How to apply
Expressions of interest (including a brief CV and a maximum of a single side of A4 outlining your suitability for the post) should be submitted to the policy officer by email to email@example.com before 5pm on 12 March 2018.
All applications will be considered by the chair of the DTM&H examining board.
The next DTM&H standard setting group will take place on 7 December 2018 and the successful applicant will be required to attend.