The Royal College of Physicians (RCP) is seeking to nominate new assessors for the MBRRACE-UK Confidential Enquiry into Maternal Deaths (CEMD) programme.
The RCP is looking for up to 10 national assessors as follows:
- two oncologists (with expertise in breast cancer)
- two neurologists (one with stroke expertise, one with epilepsy expertise)
- one or two cardiologists
- one or two infectious disease physicians
- one or two acute physicians
- one or two obstetric physicians.
MBRRACE-UK (Mothers and Babies: Reducing Risk Through Audits and Confidential Enquiries in the UK) are particularly keen to recruit oncologists with experience of managing malignancy in pregnancy and the postpartum period. Applications are also welcome from physicians responsible for caring for women with the other major medical complications of pregnancy (stroke, epilepsy, cardiac disease, infectious diseases) or who care for pregnant or postpartum women in the acute medical setting.
It is anticipated that assessors will be expected to review 10–15 cases per year, limited to deaths of women relevant to their specialty area. The initial term for assessors will be 3 years, renewable for a further 3 years.
It is anticipated that most work will be undertaken electronically and therefore travel will not be required, with the exception of travel to an initial training meeting for which travel expenses will be provided. The position is otherwise not remunerated but assessment work may be considered as part of continuing professional development.
Applicants will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- in good standing with the RCP
- recent active clinical practice.
- evidence of a contribution to and interest in patient safety, quality improvement, national audit and research
- experience of confidential case review
- experience of committee work at a national level
- evidence of forging links within and beyond an individual’s professional group
- relevant specialist experience.
For an informal discussion of the role, please email Professor Marian Knight, MBRRACE-UK maternal programme lead, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying, please submit a two-page CV and a short letter stating why you would like to undertake the role to email@example.com.
The closing date for applications is Friday 2 February 2018. Applications will then be considered by the RCP Nominations Committee and successful candidates contacted.