The Royal College of Physicians (RCP) museum is establishing a new team of volunteers to help support our work during the RCP's 500th anniversary year.
As a volunteer you will contribute to the museum's exciting 2018 programme, which includes talks, exhibition launches, late museum openings and special events. The programme is designed for the museum’s diverse audience, covering history, art, architecture and the RCP medicinal garden. The RCP also takes part in annual city-wide events including Open House London, Open Garden Squares and Open City.
We are looking for friendly and enthusiastic people to help deliver our public events programme. A passion for history, museums or medicine would be an advantage; previous experience of volunteering in a front of house or visitor experience capacity would be beneficial but is not essential. Knowledge of medicine or the RCP is not required.
Training will be offered to all new volunteers, to familiarise them with the RCP building and museum collections.
What you will be doing
- welcoming and registering guests at museum events
- providing information about the museum collections and the public events programme
- invigilating the exhibition and museum display spaces
- ensuring the safety and security of museum objects, archives and rare books that are on display
- answering enquiries or directing visitors to museum staff
- assisting with Q&A sessions at events
- distributing multimedia guides to visitors
- distributing audience feedback forms.
The role includes volunteering at evening and occasional weekend events, all at the RCP building in Regent’s Park. Travel expenses within London will be reimbursed (a maximum limit will apply).
Successful applicants are expected to volunteer at one event per month, for a minimum of 3 months.
What we can offer you
- free refreshments while volunteering
- free lunch (if working 6 hours or more)
- on-site use of the RCP libraries
- free tickets for RCP events
- opportunity to attend LAMS (Library, Archive and Museum Services) department external visits
- training opportunities in relevant fields
- opportunity to attend the RCP summer fun day and Christmas volunteers receptions
- CV advice and support.
How to apply
For more information and to request an application form, contact Natalie Craven, public programmes officer:
The deadline for applications is Monday 29 January 2018, 10am.
Please note: there is no guarantee of paid employment at the RCP museum following this role.