This 2-day effective teaching skills workshop helps you to improve the ways in which you approach, design and deliver your teaching sessions in a range of different contexts.
What you will learn
Doctors are expected to teach as part of their roles, yet many have received no formal training in this area. Teaching skills can be improved by developing key aspects of your practice, including preparation, choosing appropriate teaching methods, and utilising appropriate assessment.
These, as well as other aspects of effective teaching practice, will be explored theoretically and practically on this workshop, which will also include tips on how to deal with difficult learners.
Really engaging, interesting and relevant to medicine […] Definitely given me the tools and confidence to approach teaching in a different way.
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to
- develop an effective educational environment and help trainees learn within that environment
- write objectives for a teaching session
- design and use a session plan
- recognise the advantages and disadvantages of large and small group teaching and identify how to maximise interaction and learning in both
- discuss good practice in teaching and learning evaluation
- plan and undertake an evaluation of a teaching session.
The content was what I was expecting and more. It was pitched at the right level. [...] I feel more equipped to structure and prepare formal teaching for medical students and peers.
Effective teaching skills - day 1
12 September 2019 09:30 to 16:00
Effective teaching skills - day 2
13 September 2019 09:30 to 16:00