September's Museum Late featuring artist and campaigner Viv Gordon on mental health
The Book of Jo
The RCP Museum is open until 8pm on the first Thursday of the month*. September's Museum Late will include a rehearsed reading of a new theatre show created and performed by Viv Gordon and commissioned by the Life of Breath project
The Book of Jo looks at what happens when life falls apart. How can we maintain hope when the worst happens? And why do bad things happen anyway?
A woman faced with a rare and random terminal diagnosis sits in the debris of her life contemplating meaning and social justice with the dubious help of the Old Testament story The Book of Job.
- 6.00-6.40pm: Catch Your Breath exhibition tour, 1st floor gallery
- 6.45-7.45pm: The Book of Jo performance and audience Q&A, 2nd floor Library Reading Room
About Viv Gordon
Viv Gordon is a theatre maker and arts activist producing feisty work about mental health, abuse and trauma narratives. She has recently toured two shows: I am Joan an autobiographical comedy about trauma recovery and PreScribed (a life written for me) a commission from University of Bristol highlighting research into General Practitioners in mental health crisis in an NHS in meltdown. With Life of Breath, she hopes to explore connections between breath, mental health, panic and anxiety as well as illness, risk behaviours, judgement, shame and blame.
About Museum Lates
Located in the RCP's Grade I-listed 'modernist masterpiece', our museum collections have been gathered over 5 centuries since our foundation by Royal Charter of Henry VIII in 1518. Join an exhibition tour, take a multimedia guided tour and enjoy our Grade I listed building.
- our portraits and silver displayed throughout our headquarters in Regent’s Park
- medical collections on display including the Symons collection, the Hoffbrand collection of apothecary jars and the Prujean chest of surgical instruments
- our extraordinary set of 17th-century human remains - John Finch's anatomical tables give a fascinating insight into dissection and discovery in anatomy
- regular displays from our archive and rare books collections
- our award-winning exhibitions and events highlighting treasures from the historical collections
Museum Lates are free and open to all. Museum location, accessibility and journey planning information is available on the RCP visiting page.
Forthcoming 2019 Museum Lates:
Thursday 5 September, 5.30-8pm
*Thursday 10 October, 5.30-8pm (a week later than usual)
Thursday 7 November, 5.30-8pm
Thursday 5 December, 5.30-8pm
Free exhibition tour at 6pm, Pre-booking is not required but is advised for the exhibition tour or if you are visiting in a large group. For more information email email@example.com.