This intensive 1-day workshop will introduce the key principles of systematic review and meta-analysis of published research.
Delivered through presentations and exercises, the workshop will give participants the basic skills to design and perform a systematic review of randomised controlled trials.
What you will learn
This workshop will cover the following areas:
- What a systematic review and meta-analysis are
- Systematic review question formulation
- Drafting a systematic review protocol
- Sifting literature and data extraction
- Meta-analysis of intervention studies (including practical exercise)
- Assessing the quality of the evidence (including risk of bias and heterogeneity)
- Reporting and presenting a systematic review
- Systematic reviews and change in clinical practice – including an overview of the NICE process.
All the tutors were excellent and so was the practical session.
By the end of the workshop, participants should be able to:
- explain what a systematic review is and when it should be undertaken
- develop a focused systematic review question and draft a review protocol
- demonstrate basic skills in searching for and identifying evidence to answer a specific question
- understand the principles of sifting and data extraction for a systematic review
- perform a meta-analysis of data from intervention studies
- assess the quality/validity of the evidence
- present the results to meet the needs of clinicians, other healthcare professionals and researchers
- understand how systematic reviews may be used to inform changes in clinical practice.
Who should apply?
This workshop is suitable for all healthcare professionals (multidisciplinary) and specialties, those who are new to systematic reviewing or require a refresher session.
Some knowledge of basic research methods is required.
The course runs from 9.30am to 4.30pm. Cost, including printed course materials, refreshments and lunch, is £300 (inc VAT).
We also offer a course on critical Appraisal which is discounted if booked with this workshop.
Additional information: Please note that travel and accommodation costs are not included.
Cancellation requests must be sent to NGCfirstname.lastname@example.org and will be subject to a 25% charge. No refunds will be made for cancellations notified within 21 days of the event. The NGC reserves the right to cancel the event, in which case all registration fees will be refunded.