This guideline covers diagnosing and managing acute heart failure or possible acute heart failure in people aged 18 and over. It aims to improve the immediate care of someone who is acutely unwell as a result of heart failure.
This guideline includes recommendations on:
- diagnosis, assessment and monitoring
- initial pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatment
- treatment after stabilisation
- treatment with valvular surgery and percutaneous intervention
- treatment with mechanical assist devices
Who is it for?
- Healthcare professionals
- Adults who have a diagnosis of acute heart failure, or have possible acute heart failure, or are being investigated for acute heart failure
Dworzynski K, Roberts E, Ludman A, Mant J. Diagnosing and managing acute heart failure in adults: summary of NICE guidance. BMJ. 2014; 349