This guideline covers diagnosing and managing atrial fibrillation in adults. It includes guidance on providing the best care and treatment for people with atrial fibrillation, including assessing and managing risks of stroke and bleeding.
The recommendations in this guideline were developed before the COVID-19 pandemic.
See the MHRA advice on warfarin and other anticoagulants – monitoring of patients during the COVID-19 pandemic, which includes reports of supratherapeutic anticoagulation with warfarin.
This guideline includes new and updated recommendations on:
- detection and diagnosis
- assessment of stroke and bleeding risks
- stroke prevention
- rate control
- left atrial ablation
- preventing recurrence after ablation
- preventing and managing postoperative atrial fibrillation
It also includes recommendations on:
- assessment of cardiac function
- personalised package of care and information
- rhythm control
- management of acute presentations
- initial management of stroke and atrial fibrillation
- stopping anticoagulation
Who is it for?
- Healthcare professionals
- Commissioners and providers
- People with atrial fibrillation, their families and carers