This guideline covers the assessment for and management of blood transfusions in adults, young people and children over 1 year old.
Blood transfusion covers the general principles of blood transfusion, but does not make recommendations relating to specific conditions.
The guideline includes recommendations on:
- alternatives to transfusion for patients having surgery
- thresholds, targets and doses for red blood cells, platelets, fresh frozen plasma, cryoprecipitate, and prothrombin complex concentrate
- patient safety
- patient information
Who is it for?
- healthcare professionals who assess for and manage blood transfusions and their alternatives
- commissioners and providers of transfusion services
- people over 1 year old who may need a blood transfusion, their families and carers
Padhi S, Kemmis-Betty S, Rajesh S, Hill J, Murphy MF. Blood transfusion: summary of NICE guidance. BMJ (Clinical research ed ). 2015; 351:h5832