The government should consider the following issues during the Brexit negotiations:
- Patients should be the first priority. The government must guarantee that EU nationals working in the NHS will be able to stay in the UK and continue to deliver excellent care for patients.
- Ensure that the current workforce crisis facing the NHS is not exacerbated through restricting non-UK doctors from working in the NHS.
- The UK’s withdrawal from the EU must not affect patients’ ability to participate in high quality research and clinical trials. Patients must continue to have access to innovative new technologies.
- Ensure the UK’s position as a world leader in research through accessing Framework 9 (FP9) funding, in addition to regional development funds and bursaries.
- Retain the UK’s ability to influence legislation that affects research.
- It is crucial that the UK maintains its involvement in frameworks that underpin the protection of public health or that they are replaced by equivalent or even stronger safeguards.
- Engage with the Cavendish Coalition of health and social care employers, professional bodies and trade unions.