The RCP's consultation response for the Department for Work and Pensions' 2015 review into the challenges faced by individuals seeking, returning to, and remaining in, work when they are addicted to alcohol or drugs, or are obese.
- The RCP recognises that being employed can be good for health and we welcome efforts to support people who are unemployed due to ill health to improve their health.
- Alcohol addiction and obesity are serious health conditions which require specialist treatment and compassionate care.
- As well as improvements to treatment services, government should also prioritise prevention to help people to avoid the health harms of alcohol and obesity.
- Employers too must play their part by supporting their staff to maintain good health and to return to work after periods of ill health.
- The NHS has a special role to play and must lead by example as an employer that prioritises the health and wellbeing of its workforce.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.