This guideline covers care before, during and after a planned knee, hip or shoulder replacement. It includes recommendations to ensure that people are given full information about their options for surgery, including anaesthesia. It offers advice for healthcare professionals on surgical procedures and ensuring safety during operations. It also offers guidance on providing support and rehabilitation before and after surgery.
This guideline includes recommendations on:
- information and shared decision making for people having joint replacements
- preoperative rehabilitation
- tranexamic acid to minimise blood loss
- preventing infections and avoiding implant selection errors
- procedures for knee, hip and shoulder replacement
- postoperative rehabilitation and long-term care
Who is it for?
- Healthcare professionals in primary, secondary and tertiary settings
- Non-NHS organisations commissioned to provide services for the NHS or local authorities
- People having knee, hip or shoulder replacement, their families and carers