This guideline covers identifying, assessing and managing obesity in children (aged 2 years and over), young people and adults.
Obesity: identification, assessment and management aims to improve the use of bariatric surgery and very-low-calorie diets to help people who are obese to reduce their weight.
This guideline includes recommendations on:
- identification and classification
- lifestyle, behavioural, dietary and pharmacological interventions
- physical activity
- surgery, including bariatric surgery for people with recent-onset type 2 diabetes.
Who is it for?
- Healthcare professionals
- Commissioners and providers
- People who are obese and their families and carers
Stegenga H, Haines A, Jones K, Wilding J. Identification, assessment, and management of overweight and obesity: summary of updated NICE guidance. BMJ (Clinical research ed ). 2014; 349:g6608