This guideline covers investigating all suspected thyroid disease and managing primary thyroid disease (related to the thyroid rather than the pituitary gland). It does not cover managing thyroid cancer or thyroid disease in pregnancy. It aims to improve quality of life by making recommendations on diagnosis, treatment, long-term care and support.
NICE is also developing a guideline on thyroid cancer.
This guideline includes recommendations on:
- information for people with thyroid disease
- investigating suspected thyroid dysfunction or enlargement
- managing, follow-up and monitoring of primary hypothyroidism
- managing and monitoring of subclinical hypothyroidism
- managing thyrotoxicosis and follow-up and monitoring of hyperthyroidism
- managing and monitoring of subclinical hyperthyroidism
- diagnosing, managing and monitoring thyroid enlargement with normal thyroid function