Our five enablers form threads that run through and support each of our three priorities. Here are some key highlights of our work in 2021 under those areas.
- We opened The Spine, marking the culmination of our 5-year vision to transform our reach and facilities for members in the north.
- Medicine 2021 was our largest and most successful annual conference to date, winning best large membership event in the annual Memcom Awards for the second time.
- RCP Player saw a record 11,000 members (and over 7,000 non-members) interact with a wide-ranging programme of events.
- Our first SAS physicians week highlighted the key role they play in education, research and leadership.
- We had over 120 entries to our Excellence in Patient Care Awards highlighting innovative projects across the NHS.
Working with patients
- Our Patient and Carer Network contributed invaluable expertise to a variety of RCP projects and guidance, including a report on modern ward rounds, medicines safety materials, clinical research e-learning modules, a new six-step course for consultants, our Chief Registrar Programme and Future Healthcare Journal.
Diversity and inclusion
- An RCP-wide work programme supported us to promote diversity and inclusion across the organisation.
- Our new diversity in communications policy is leading to a more inclusive editorial approach and improved gender and ethnicity balance in our event speaker line-ups.
- Through our work with Federation, we made improvements to the quality of equality and diversity data collected in the ePortfolio and the provision of targeted information; this will improve trainees’ access to exams and applications for higher specialty training.
Governance and stakeholder engagement
- Our AGM and College Day were held as hybrid meetings to allow maximum participation by the membership during the pandemic, a format which will be retained to increase future engagement.
- RCP Council approved a new conduct scheme for our membership aligned to the RCP Code of Conduct, and we undertook a review of fellowship election processes to design a new fairer, more transparent system for launch in 2022.
- We successfully completed the NHS toolkit process to facilitate data sharing with NHS partners into 2022.
- We worked to ensure The Spine is in a position to achieve BREEAM Excellence certification and the WELL Platinum Standard – an audited standard of wellness in buildings – making it one of the healthiest work and events spaces in the UK.
- We supported installation of one of the largest AV over internet protocol systems in Europe.
- We launched two new commercial events brands in London and Liverpool, RCP London Events and RCP Spaces at The Spine, future-proofing our business for a post-pandemic world.
- We were delighted to win bronze awards for best COVID-19 response in hospitality and best conference venue facilities at the London Venue and Catering Awards.
- We worked to increase income potential by developing a robust tenant market for space in our London and Liverpool buildings.