What we are doing
The aim of this project is to develop an initial standard for sharing information on events taking place as part of the Department of Health and Social Care’s Healthy Child Programme: Pregnancy and the First 5 Years of Life. The project seeks to enable parents, carers and children to view and record information in the Electronic Personal Child Health Record (ePCHR).
The project is being undertaken in three stages:
- events around the birth, up to and including initial 6–8-week GP screening check
- routine health visitor, school nurse and primary care events (including immunisations)
- developmental checks, developmental firsts and personal information.
Through the consultation the project has developed recommendations for the structure and content of a child health record and information sharing requirements related to events taking place as part of the Healthy Child Programme.
How the standard will be used
The Professional Record Standards Body (PRSB) was commissioned by NHS Digital to consult with parents, healthcare professionals, suppliers and public health professionals to ensure that the standard meets their needs. NHS Digital are producing information models based on the recommendations made by the Professional Record Standards Body (PRSB) and are producing technical specifications that can be implemented on NHS IT systems.
We anticipate that NHS IT system suppliers will develop solutions for implementation in the NHS based on the following NHS Digital deliverables:
- Healthy Child Record Specification – electronic care record supporting the Healthy Child Programme and specifying the clinical headings and information model that provide the standardised structure for that record
- Healthy Child Events Specification – data models and detailed content for the care record
- Healthy Child Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR) events catalogue – technical specification to allow the events to be exchanged as an electronic message.
For more information and to find supporting documents for this project, please visit the PRSB website.
Clinical leadership was provided by:
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH)
- Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP)
- NHS Digital subject matter experts.
The work has been conducted in partnership with the RCP Health Informatics Unit.
All published documents are a final draft and are currently being endorsed by while they are being endorsed by relevant professional bodies.