The project team at Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust are working closely with patients, carers and health care professionals to develop integrated respiratory care for long term respiratory conditions.
Collaboration with respiratory teams
Under the ‘Right Care, Right Here’ programme, Sandwell and West Birmingham is facilitating collaborative working among teams without barriers. With the help from the FHP, the team are showing how care should be provided to patients – not only those with complex needs.
The programme aims to:
- increase early diagnosis and detection of respiratory conditions in the community
- reduce emergency admissions and readmissions by increasing community expertise
- empower community teams to manage a larger proportion of respiratory patients, by supporting collaborative working among specialists and generalists.
All patients have a care plan that reflects their individual clinical support needs
- The team have been highlighted by the trust as an exemplar of integrated services. They will play a key role in inspiring other departments and teams to work together as two acute trusts are merged in the near future.
- Sandwell and West Birmingham have run pilots for their discharge checklist and associated care bundles and have started community clinics in some areas.