This work focuses on prevention and management of falls in two community hospitals in Bath & North East Somerset.
Sirona Care and Health is a Community Interest Company providing services to Bath & North East Somerset CCG and South Gloucester CCG. They provide a range of community services but relevant to FallSafe are the two Community Hospitals, Paulton Hospital, Paulton Somerset and St Martin’s Hospital in Bath.
Type wards implemented on: Paulton Hospital has 28 beds and St Martin’s Hospital has 31 beds including eight Stroke beds. Most patients are transfers from the Acute Hospital for rehabilitation with the aim of returning home. Paulton also takes direct admissions to prevent admission to acute hospital.
- We have improved provision of call bells (75% to 97.5%)
- We have improved assessment of footwear and foot health (90% to 100%)
- We now assess quality of vision – not just if wearing glasses
- Staff are now more confident to issue walking frames correctly when therapists not on duty
- The medical clerking now includes a Falls Care Bundle and a Delirium Care management plan, significantly improving the documentation of Falls History (67% to 87%), Medication review, (37.5% to 95%) and Fear of Falling (55% to 90%)
- There is a new falls risk assessment on admission and a weekly falls review