Details of published reports relevant to the care of young adults and adolescents.
This report stresses why young people aged between 16 and 25 need to be considered as a defined population. It aims to highlight the limited recognition of the healthcare needs of young people beyond paediatrics.
Furthermore, in the absence of a review of the current health status of young people and of barriers to appropriate transitional services for young people, this document hopes to promote the prioritisation of changes that will improve health and social care outcomes for all young people.
The RCP has produced new guidance to support physicians to help tackle child sexual exploitation (CSE).
An awareness of CSE is essential for physicians, who could be working with current victims of CSE, young people at risk of CSE, or children and adults who have previously been victims of CSE.
This guidance is designed to support physicians to recognise potential cases of child sexual exploitation (CSE) and seek support to protect vulnerable children and young people. It should be considered essential reading for physicians.
The Clinical Medicine journal seeks to encourage high standards of medical care by promoting good clinical practice and influencing policy through original research and articles on topics including current issues, law and ethics.
Aimed at practising physicians in the UK and overseas, the journal assists the RCP in supporting a wide range of specialties through a dedicated continuing medical education (CME) section which presents the latest advances in a chosen specialty, with self-assessment questions at the end of each topic enabling CPD accreditation to be acquired.
- Anne Easson and Simone Walter ‘Hearing-impaired young people – a physician’s guide’, Clin Med December 2017 17:521-524; doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.17-6-521.
- Ellen S Bruce, Laura Lunt, and Janet E McDonagh ‘Sleep in adolescents and young adults’, Clin Med October 2017 17:424-428; doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.17-5-424.
- Melinda Edwards, Caron Lawson, Safiyyah Rahman, Kerry Conley, Hannah Phillips, and Rebecca Uings ‘What does quality healthcare look like to adolescents and young adults? Ask the experts!’, Clin Med April 2016 16:146-151; doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.16-2-146.
- Sophie Forsyth and Karen Rogstad ‘Sexual health issues in adolescents and young adults’, Clin Med October 5, 2015 15:447-451; doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.15-5-447.
- Bhavesh Kumar, Rebecca Robinson, and Simon Till ‘Physical activity and health in adolescence’, Clin Med June 2015 15:267-272; doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.15-3-267.
- Izabela Jurewicz ‘Mental health in young adults and adolescents – supporting general physicians to provide holistic care’, Clin Med April 2015 15:151-154; doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.15-2-151.
- Lorraine Albon and Louella Vaughan ‘Adolescents and young adults on the acute medical unit: how might we do it better?’, Clin Med December 2014 14:618-622; doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.14-6-618.
- B Beresford and L Stuttard ‘Young adults as users of adult healthcare: experiences of young adults with complex or life-limiting conditions’, Clin Med August 2014 14:404-408; doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.14-4-404.
- Peter H Winocour ‘Care of adolescents and young adults with diabetes – much more than transitional care: a personal view’, Clin Med June 2014 14:274-278; doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.14-3-274.
- Dilip Nazareth and Martin Walshaw ‘Coming of age in cystic fibrosis – transition from paediatric to adult care’, Clin Med October 2013 13:482-486; doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.13-5-482.
- Robert Carr, Myrna Whiteson, Melinda Edwards, and Sue Morgan ‘Young adult cancer services in the UK: the journey to a national network’, Clin Med June 2013 13:258-262; doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.13-3-258.
- Helena Gleeson, Sara McCartney, and Victoria Lidstone ‘“Everybody's business”: transition and the role of adult physicians’, Clin Med December 2012 12:561-567; doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.12-6-561.
- Helena Gleeson, ‘Part of the problem, part of the solution’ – adult physicians' role in adolescent and young adult health’, Clin Med October 5, 2015 15:413-414; doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.15-5-413.
- Janet E McDonagh and Angela J Robinson ‘Growing up: the role of the Royal College of Physicians’, Clin Med June 2012 12:197-199; doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.12-3-197.