The Emerging Women Leaders Programme is a development programme designed specifically to address the under-representation of women in leadership roles within the RCP and the wider medical profession.
This flagship programme was developed in 2018 with support from the Lord Leonard and Lady Estelle Wolfson Foundation.
Applications for the 23/24 cohort are open soon, you can register your interest by emailing WomenInMedicine@rcp.ac.uk
The yearlong programme (which comprises of five teaching days) is built around both developing new emerging leaders early in their careers and developing leadership for women who have potentially faced barriers to leadership in their early years, and for both groups aims to assist them with the additional skills to confidently take those steps to leadership.
The programme achieves these aims through interactive workshops, access to mentoring from senior medical leaders, access to support from programme alumni, peer group support and through opportunities for professional networking.
It has four, CPD-accredited components:
Five days or its equivalent total, face-to-face content delivered at RCP London or RCP at The Spine (Liverpool) including:
- Introduction day
- ‘Doctors as leaders’ RCP accreditation (two days)
- Mid-programme development day
- Programme finale.
Day 1: (Face-to-face teaching day)
Day 2: (Hybrid teaching day)
Day 3: (Face-to-face teaching day)
Day 4: (Hybrid teaching day)
Day 5: (Face-to-face teaching day)
- Virtual coaching and guidance from a senior mentor approximately every eight weeks.
Action learning sets:
- Ongoing peer group support through an action learning sets (ALS) programme. ALS sessions find practical ways of addressing the ‘real life’ challenges that are faced in the workplace, through a structured process of insightful questioning combined with a balance of support and challenge from group members.
- Access to a variety of networking opportunities within the RCP
- Project support from peer network.
We have adapted the Emerging Women Leaders delivery model to provide greater flexibility to students. Using the new Wolfson Virtual Lecture theatre, delegates can decide to attend days two and four (the doctors as leaders accreditation) virtually or in person. Days One, three and five will be delivered in person with cohorts based in RCP London, and at RCP at The Spine, Liverpool.
Who should apply?
This course is designed for women doctors who are starting on their consultant-level leadership journey, at whatever stage in their career this may be. This means it can include a wide range of individuals such as: post-CCT doctors seeking a consultant role, consultants in the first few years in that role, SAS doctors with equivalent experience, and those who are beginning their leadership journey later due to career breaks or other responsibilities.
If you are unsure if the programme is suitable for you, whatever your age or job title please contact WomenInMedicine@rcp.ac.uk to discuss your individual circumstances.
We also have a limited number of funded places available, if you are interested in being considered for a funded place please do let us know on the pdf application form below.
The fee for the emerging women leaders programme, including the development days, personalised mentoring, action learning sets, and networking is £4,200 for non-members, and £3,780 for members of the RCP (10% discount). Organisations wishing to make multiple bookings should contact: WomenInMedicine@rcp.ac.uk
How do I apply?
Applications for the 23/24 cohort will open shortly, you can register your interest by emailing WomenInMedicine@rcp.ac.uk.
For applications we require:
- Curriculum vitae, no more than two pages, highlighting leadership experience and leadership development/training
- 500-word personal statement explaining your motivation for wanting to participate in the course
- A supporting statement from line your manager indicating support for your personal statement and confirming agreement for you to participate in the programme.
We have highlighted the outcomes and leadership success from our previous cohort in the yearbook and testimonials below.