The RCP and Clinical Research Network research awards scheme recognises outstanding contributions of NHS clinicians to the conduct of National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Clinical Research Network Portfolio research studies.
The RCP and the National Institute for Health and Care Research (NIHR) Clinical Research Network joint awards programme is now open for entry. The awards recognise outstanding contributions of NHS consultants and trainees who are active in research.
Since its inception in 2006, the NIHR has significantly increased the scale of clinical research in the NHS, particularly through the NIHR Clinical Research Network. The enthusiastic engagement of NHS physicians and trainees is an essential condition for sustaining and building on this success, particularly given the many competing demands on clinicians’ time and resources.
Two prizes awarded to trainees, each prize will consist of:
- Financial award of £250
- Free entry to Medicine Plus
- Invited to submit an abstract for oral/poster presentation at Medicine Plus
- Winners invited to attend the RCP New Members Ceremony in October, where the awards will be read out.
Two prizes awarded to consultants, each prize will consist of:
- Financial award of £250
- Free entry to Medicine 2023
- Confirmed speaking slot at 2023
- Winners will be invited to attend the Harveian Oration, where the awards will be read out.
- Trainee award winners will be invited to attend the Royal College of Physicians New Members ceremony on 5 October 2022
- Consultant award winners will be invited to the Harveian Oration on 19 October 2022.
Applicants must be NHS clinicians (clinical academics are not eligible) and a member of the Royal College of Physicians.
There are two awards available for NHS consultants and two awards for NHS consultant trainees.
Applicants are required to outline their contribution to the leadership of several NIHR Clinical Research Network Portfolio studies with a particular focus on:
- how they demonstrate clinical leadership enabling their organisation to increase its participation in clinical studies
- how they engaged with patients to inform them of new opportunities to participate in clinical research
- their contribution to successful delivery of clinical research studies, with a particular emphasis on industry (commercial contract) studies.
How to apply
Applications should be made using the application form provided at the bottom of this page, and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on Tuesday 19 July 2022:
- Applicants must include their Royal College of Physicians Membership Number
- Applicants should note the word limit on each section of the form
- No additional information supplied will be considered by the panel
- Receipt of applications will be acknowledged
- Applications will be assessed jointly by an RCP/NIHR Clinical Research Network panel including patient representatives
- Successful applicants will be notified by 19 August 2022. NB We expect a high number of applications and are unable to provide feedback to unsuccessful applicants
- The closing date for the awards is 23.59 on Tuesday 19 July 2022.
For more information please see Royal College of Physicians and NIHR CRN Awards 2022.