The RCP library purchases ejournals, ebooks, bibliographic databases and print resources for members, course students and members of the Faculty of Forensic and Legal Medicine.
Our print and electronic collections focus on the RCP's specialties, medical leadership and management, health policy and public health, health service provision, teaching skills and learning theory, and MRCP(UK) exam revision. We also hold every item published by the RCP.
Print materials can be browsed in our study spaces and borrowed by post.
Our electronic resources (e-resources) include:
- ejournals: including The BMJ, JAMA, Annals of Internal Medicine, NEJM and Wiley ejournals
- Read by QxMD: keep up to date with research in your area of practice. Use your OpenAthens username and password to access thousands of articles from high-impact journals like the New England Journal of Medicine and the BMJ.
- ebooks: including the Oxford medical handbooks series and the Oxford Textbook of Medicine
- Medline AND HMIC via OVID The first time you use it you will be asked to create an OVID ID.
- education databases: Education Resources Information Center (ERIC) and the British Education Index (BEI) (for students on RCP courses only).
How to access the e-resources
Log in to our Discovery search tool with your RCP Athens account to access all our e-resources, as well as our most recent print material.
If you require an article, search the article finder for quick access.
The OpenAthens portal is still available as an alternative if preferred.
- No login is required to search the RCP library catalogue, which lists all our ebooks as well as our entire print collection.
RCP Athens accounts
Athens accounts are the login method used to provide library e-resources to users entitled to full RCP member access. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an account, providing us with a non-NHS email address to use.
If you've forgotten your login details you can reset your Athens password online.
If you are having problems logging in, finding what you are looking for or accessing an article or other resource, please call +44 (0)20 3075 1539.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have an NHS Athens account – is it the same?
No. OpenAthens is an identity and access management service that allows organisations to manage their online subscriptions. Each organisation will have different content depending on their subscriptions.
An RCP Athens account gives you access to the online resources (ebooks, ejournals and databases) subscribed to by the RCP library service, which will not be exactly the same as your NHS Athens account.
Why can’t I access the journal I want?
This could be because we don't have a subscription to that journal but please be sure to contact us for further information. We can source articles through our inter-library loans service and report any technical issues to help you access the journal.
Why use the Discovery search tool instead of MyAthens?
The Discovery search tool (aka OVIDDiscovery) is a single-search portal to more than 100 million biomedical, health and pharmaceutical resources, which gives you the ability to search all of our online ebooks, ejournals and databases. Tips and hints are available within the tool.
There is an article finder if you know which article you are looking for but not the journal, year or issue number.
You can search all of the OVID databases from the OVID widget via the Discovery search tool.