The podcast is hosted by Dr Amie Burbridge, a consultant in acute medicine from Coventry, and Dr Hussain Basheer, RCP Education fellow and a respiratory registrar from Kent, Surrey and Sussex.
Each week they discuss and explore a different topic, including:
- real-life clinical cases
- new evidence-based guidelines
- specific physician issues in the modern healthcare environment.
The views expressed in this podcast are those of Amie and Hussain and not necessarily the RCP.
Amie explores the investigation and management of suspected pulmonary emboli on the acute take, discussing the merits of ambulatory care, with references to recent NICE and BTS guidelines
Hussain recounts a devastating neurology case from a weekend on-call.
- Al-Hourani et al; Upper Cervical Epidural Abscess in Clinical Practice: Diagnosis and Management. Global Spine Journal 2016; 6: 383-393
- Chao D, Nanda, A; Spinal Epidural Abscess: A Diagnostic Challenge. Am Fam Physician 2002; 65: 1341-6
Amie gives us a quick run-through of the investigation and management of the acute, hot joint
- BSR & BHPR, BOA, RCGP and BSAC guidelines for management of the hot swollen joint in adults. G. Coakley C. Mathews M. Field A. Jones G. Kingsley D. Walker M. Phillips C. Bradish A. McLachlan R. Mohammed V. Weston on behalf of the British Society for Rheumatology Standards, Guidelines and Audit Working Group. Rheumatology, Volume 45, Issue 8, 1 August 2006, Pages 1039–1041
- Farrow L. A systematic review and meta-analysis regarding the use of corticosteroids in septic arthritis. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2015;16:241
Hussain runs through the management of COPD presentations on the acute take, with some important points about smoking and vaping.
- Stone RA, McMillan V, Mortier K, Holzhauer-Barrie J, Riordan J, Stone P, Quint J, Roberts CM. COPD: Working together. National Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Audit Programme: Clinical audit of COPD exacerbations admitted to acute hospitals in England and Wales 2017. National clinical audit report. London: RCP, April 2018.
- The DECAF Score: predicting hospital mortality in exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. John Steer, John Gibson, Stephen C Bourke, Thorax 2012;67:970–976. doi:10.1136/thoraxjnl-2012-202103
Hussain discusses a tragic case that highlights the challenges of having difficult conversations during a busy on-call shift.
- Baile W, Buckman R, Lenzi R, Glober G, Beale E, Kudelka A. SPIKES – A six-step protocol for delivering bad news: application to the patient with cancer. The Oncologist 2000; 5: 302-311
Amie talks us through a hard-hitting case of infective endocarditis.
- Habib G, Lancellotti P, Antunes MJ, et al. 2015 ESC Guidelines for the management of infective endocarditis. Eur Heart J. 2015 Nov 21;36(44):3075-128.
- Darjee R, Gibb AP. Serological investigation into the association between Streptococcus bovis and colonic cancer. J Clin Pathol. 1993 Dec;46(12):1116-1119
- Li JS, Sexton DJ, Mick N, et al. Proposed modifications to the Duke criteria for the diagnosis of infective endocarditis. Clin Infect Dis. 2000 Apr;30(4):633-8.