Episode 27 is now available.
The RCP Medicine podcast is a weekly discussion of different topics relevant to physicians and physician associates.
The podcast is hosted by Dr Amie Burbridge, a consultant in acute medicine from Coventry, and a new co-host Bryony Alderman who is an education fellow at the RCP.*
Each week they discuss and explore a different topic including:
- real-life clinical cases
- new evidence-based guidelines
- specific physician issues in the modern healthcare environment.
*The views expressed in this podcast are those of Amie and Bryony and not necessarily the RCP.
Dr Amie Burbridge and Dr Bryony Alderman are back to discuss two very acutely unwell patient cases and difficulty that comes with breaking bad news.
- Royal College of Physicians. Talking about dying: how to begin honest conversations about what lies ahead. London: Royal College of Physicians, 2018. Available from https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/projects/outputs/talking-about-dying-how-begin-honest-conversations-about-what-lies-ahead
- General Medical Council. Treatment and care towards the end of life: good practice in decision making. Manchester: General Medical Council, 2010. Available from https://www.gmc-uk.org/ethical-guidance/ethical-guidance-for-doctors/treatment-and-care-towards-the-end-of-life
- Breaking bad news: a guide for doctors 2019, elearning course, Royal College of Physicians, London. Available from https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/education-practice/courses/breaking-bad-news-guide-doctors
“We choose cases that have hit home with us personally, often because there was something unexpected about them. Some of these cases have stayed with us for years and it’s really valuable to talk them through, get another perspective and share the learning points.”