The Royal College of Physicians (RCP) is delighted to announce a major development in partnership with Liverpool City Council which will create RCP North, a centre for clinical excellence.
RCP North will provide medical training, examinations, conference facilities, quality improvement and research. The centre is the result of the RCP’s current strategy, responding to:
- expectations of more responsive and representative benefits and services to RCP fellows and members and partners in the NHS
- the desire for more education and research in northern England, Scotland, north Wales and Northern Ireland
- increased demand for RCP expertise, knowledge and experience, which supports patient care in the NHS
- the need for state-of-the-art training and education places for doctors and healthcare professionals
- new opportunities to expand and showcase quality improvement and scholarships.
Professor Jane Dacre, president of the RCP, said:
This is a major advance for both the RCP and the promotion of clinical excellence and services in the UK and internationally. RCP North will significantly enhance our ability to provide more medical training, examinations, quality improvement and research for doctors, healthcare professionals in the UK, and internationally.
We are excited at the potential of this city partnership, which animates our strategic commitment to be regionally present and relevant, demonstrating modernity to the membership and fellowship of the RCP, and changing the perception that the RCP is London-centric.
Liverpool offers us impressive opportunities to enhance clinical excellence and improve patient care with the creation of RCP North. We have been impressed by the collaboration and professionalism offered us by the city of Liverpool and look forward to developing our partnership with them, with RCP North, as an asset that will benefit healthcare and patients across the country.
The RCP and Liverpool City Council will begin working closely together on the detail of the partnership and will make further announcements in the autumn.