The RCP is inviting members, fellows and the general public to join us on and around 23 September in celebrating the 500th anniversary of the signing of its founding charter, at a series of unique events designed to commemorate the past and look to the future of the college.
On the day itself, the RCP will be commemorating its 500th birthday in a variety of ways at the Regent’s Park HQ. These celebrations include:
- the final stage of Dr Andrew Goddard's Charter Cycle, starting and finishing at the RCP's home in Regent’s Park
- the official handover of the new RCP500 Charter accompanied by a specially commissioned piece of music performed by a brass quintet from the Royal Academy of Music
- a ceremonial walk from our first home in Knightrider Street to the RCP's current headquarters
- an official RCP500 dinner celebration held in the Lasdun building's banquet room
- opening This vexed question: 500 years of women in medicine - A new exhibition exploring the histories of well-known pioneers uncovering previously hidden medical women.
500 not out
Join the RCP at Lord’s Nursery Ground on 3 October for our RCP500 cricket match and watch some senior medics doing battle with the MCC staff side the Cross Arrows.
Social media celebrations
The RCP is inviting you to share your birthday messages and join in its 500th year celebrations by sharing a happy birthday message. Tell us who inspired you to become a physician and what makes you passionate about your career in medicine. RCP staff and officers have also recorded some birthday wish video snapshots that you can see on our YouTube channel.
Lord Mayor's Show
For the first time in its 500-year history the RCP is taking part in London's annual Lord Mayor’s Show. On 10 November the college joins involving some 6,500 participants, 70 floats, 20 military and civilian bands in a public parade celebrating the inauguration ceremony of the capital's newly-appointed lord mayor. The procession, dating back to 1215, conveys the newly-elected lord mayor of London from Mansion House to the Royal Courts of Justice to swear an oath of allegiance to the crown.
On Thursday 22 November the RCP is inviting you to step into the magnificent setting of St George’s Hall in Liverpool for a special evening celebrating RCP500 and it's exciting new development, RCP North. Fellows, members, and guests from the wider community are welcome to attend this unique double celebration in this remarkable building.