This mental health and wellbeing resource connects to a number of important ongoing and in-development RCP initiatives.
The RCP plays a critical role in influencing the raising of standards in the workplace. This includes many factors which impact on our sense of wellbeing and may become a daily struggle and push us into becoming unwell. Some of these initiatives are highlighted below.
These proactive interventions focus on the workplace. They aim to remove or reduce the source of work-related stress and promote healthy work.
- Peer support – new RCP/RCPsych guidance on values, principles and practice
- Working with government to increase the number of doctors, reduce patient demand and improve access to social care
- Guide to integrated care
- RCP welcomes recommendations from the NHS Staff and Learner's Wellbeing Commission 2019 and GMC Caring for doctors report 2019
- Breaking down barriers – plan for the next Welsh government
- Doing things differently – supporting junior doctors in Wales
- Protected time for research
- Chief registrar programme
- Flexible portfolio training and careers
- Flexible working and wellbeing
- New consultant induction
- Clinical director development
- Professional development
- Emerging Women Leaders Programme
- Supporting diversity
- RCP education courses
- Gender pay gap
- Later careers
- Mythbusters about appraisal and revalidation
- Safe medical staffing
- Effective appraisal
- RCP Code of Conduct
- Keeping medicine brilliant
- Acute care toolkits
- Never too busy to learn
- Work and wellbeing in the NHS 2015 report
- SAS doctors (CESR)
- Community and a sense of belonging
- Wellbeing week – an RCP initiative for staff that takes place annually and includes events and activities
These ameliorative interventions aim to help modify the way we perceive or cope with a situation or to help us manage it more effectively.
- Wellbeing thread in all education and leadership programmes
- How to sleep better
- Supporting physicians who have autism
- Becoming a mentor
- Menopause – breaking the taboo
These interventions focus on the restoration of health.
Find out more
The RCP’s Mental health and wellbeing resource aims to support physicians to stay well and seek help when needed by opening up the conversation about mental health issues and their impact.