The pulmonary rehabilitation workstream previously formed part of the National COPD Audit Programme, which produced clinical, organisational and outcome reports in 2017 and early 2018 including Pulmonary rehabilitation: An exercise in improvement.
What we are doing
The pulmonary rehabilitation workstream of the National Asthma and COPD Audit Programme (NACAP) will comprise three parts: a continuous clinical audit of service provision and delivery of pulmonary rehabilitation (launched in March 2019), a snapshot audit of the organisation and resourcing of services (running between July and September 2019), and an accreditation programme. Participation in the pulmonary rehabilitation workstream of NACAP is a requisite of trust quality accounts.
Pulmonary rehabilitation - continuous clinical audit
This audit aims to collect information on all patients referred to and who receive pulmonary rehabilitation for COPD. Data, obtained from patient case notes, will be collected and entered into a secure and bespoke audit web tool.
The audit launched on 1 March 2019. If your service is yet to register, you can access the registration documents within the pulmonary rehabilitation workstream resources.
If you would like further information about how to register your service for the audit please contact email@example.com.
Pulmonary rehabilitation - organisational audit
A snapshot organisational audit will be delivered between July and September 2019 and will collect data on the organisation and resourcing of services.
Pulmonary rehabilitation – accreditation
Following a pilot, the full accreditation programme for PR was launched in April 2018. The programme is supported by NHS England, and will run in partnership with our pulmonary rehabilitation audit programme. You can register via the PRSAS website.
- August 2018 – February 2019: recruitment of pulmonary rehabilitation services to the continuous clinical audit
- November 2018: web tool and dataset pilot
- March 2019: start of continuous clinical data collection for pulmonary rehabilitation
- March 2019 – February 2021: continuous clinical data collection
- May 2020: planned publication of national clinical report
- July 2019 – May 2020: full pulmonary rehabilitation organisational audit
- July–September 2019: data collection
- October 2019 – April 2020: analysis and report preparation
- May 2020: planned publication of pulmonary rehabilitation organisational audit report
- December 2020 – February 2021: small pulmonary rehabilitation organisational audit (for ascertainment)
The above timeline may be subject to change – we will keep you updated and provide additional timeline details as they are confirmed.
If you think your data may have been collected as part of this audit and wish to have it removed, please speak to a member of your respiratory team at the hospital that treated you or contact a member of the audit programme team:
All relevant pulmonary rehabilitation providers in England, Scotland and Wales are expected to participate. NACAP is included in the list of national audits for inclusion in trusts’ Quality Accounts, and is also included in the NHS Wales Clinical Audit & Outcome Review Plan.