The East, Central and Southern Africa College of Physicians' (ECSACoP's) strategic plan for developing well-trained physicians across the region.
ESCACoP has identified four key areas of work in it's ongoing mission to develop physicians in Africa, and set out a number of achievable aims for each strand.
We will work in partnership with governments, universities and healthcare providers to expand and improve postgraduate training and provision of quality healthcare. Our aim is to:
- Expand the current annual output from internal medicine postgraduate training programmes in the region by 50% by 2025, doubling capacity by 2030.
- Develop a core, common curriculum in internal medicine across the region, training that is formally recognised by all relevant accrediting, government and regulatory bodies.
- Develop a high-quality assessment and examination programme, involving all relevant stakeholders.
- Identify, support and accredit training centres and trainers to deliver the curriculum.
- Implement continuous quality improvement of programmes, building on learning and experience as well as harnessing new innovations.
We will be a voice for the patient and the profession, recognised as a regional leader in advocating for healthcare improvement and disease prevention. Our aim is to:
Build relationships with governments, healthcare providers and training institutions to advocate on access to well-trained physicians, workforce planning and healthcare fi nancing.
We will support physicians’ lifelong learning and career development. Our aim is to:
- Develop a programme of high-quality continuing professional development (CPD) for physicians, using innovative models of delivery to facilitate access for all.
- Become a centre for sharing information and knowledge to improve health and wellbeing.
- Establish partnerships with the public, charitable and private sectors where innovative approaches are being used to deliver lifelong learning.
- Support physicians delivering postgraduate training with professional development, leadership training and mentoring.
We will establish an internationally recognised and financially sustainable college. Our aim is to:
- Establish a secretariat for the college, with strong, transparent finance and fundraising systems and a focus on sustainability at its core.
- Build relationships with international partners and funders.