A collection of patient safety resources including national alerts, videos and blog articles.
- Second Victim Support recognises the impact that a significant incident has on the healthcare providers involved. The website seeks to help second victims identify the types of support they may need, and signpost them towards that help.
- Access resources on the Second Victim Support website.
National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcomes and Death
- (NCEPOD) helps to improve standards of medical and surgical care for the benefit of the public by reviewing the management of patients, and by undertaking confidential surveys and research. They regularly publish reports to help improve standards in patient care.
- You can read these reports by visiting the NCEPOD website.
Health Foundation's Patient Safety Resource Centre.
National patient safety alerts – NHS Improvement
- Patient safety alerts are a crucial means of rapidly alerting the healthcare system to risks, and they provide guidance on preventing potential incidents that may lead to harm or death.
Trust specific data on Never Events
- Never Events are serious incidents that are wholly preventable, as guidance or safety recommendations that provide strong systemic protective barriers are available at a national level and should have been implemented by all healthcare providers. Examples include wrong site surgery, retained foreign object post procedure and misplaced nasogastric tube.
National Safety Standards for Invasive Procedures
- The National Safety Standards for Invasive Procedures (NatSSIPs) support NHS organisations in providing safer care and aim to reduce the number of patient safety incidents related to invasive procedures in which surgical Never Events can occur.
Institute for Healthcare Improvement Open School Videos
- How has patient safety changed in the last decade?
- What is the future of patient safety?
- The dangers of alert fatigue