Dr Alan Magee, paediatric cardiology consultant at University Hospital Southampton, and Dr Gabrielle Norrish, ST4 trainee at Great Ormond Street Hospital, discuss their specialty.
Introduction to paediatric cardiology
Paediatric cardiology is a unique specialty which encompasses the care of all patients with congenital and acquired heart disease from the fetus to young adulthood.
As a result, paediatric cardiology offers a limitless variety of pathology, physiology and training opportunities, as well as the opportunity to develop rewarding relationships with patients and their families over a long period of time. Paediatric cardiology offers a vast array of career opportunities. Paediatric cardiologists can choose to develop a subspecialty interest such as advanced imaging (Echocardiography, MRI, CT), interventional cardiology, electrophysiology and devices, fetal cardiology, adult congenital heart disease, heart failure and transplantation, inherited cardiovascular disease or pulmonary hypertension.
Training and working in paediatric cardiology
- For information on the training pathway, see the Joint Royal College of Physicians Training Board (JRCPTB)
- Visit the paediatric cardiology ST3 recruitment page for more information on the specialty of paediatric cardiology, a higher medical specialty recruiting to ST4-level vacancies. Please note - paediatric cardiology is not participating in the JRCPTB ST3 recruitment process.
Paediatric cardiology resources
- Medical Care: Cardiology
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia (FH) paediatric register Annual progress report January – December 2014.
- Your story – Nurse-led cardiac adolescent and transition service, 2016 - Future Hospital case study
- Clinical Medicine articles:
- Hunter S. Congenital heart disease in adolescence. J R Coll Physicians Lond 2000;34:150–2.
- McIntyre A. Editorial: Career opportunities in the smaller medical specialties. Clin Med 2009;9:10–11.
- Beresford B, Stuttard L. Young adults as users of adult healthcare: experiences of young adults with complex or life-limiting conditions. Clin Med 2014;4:404–8.
Historical highlights from the Library Archive and Museum Services
Visit our Library Archive and Museum Services blog to find Paediatric cardiology: a view from medical history.